Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Amy's Birthday 2009

Our day started out with Chris & I dropping our SUV off at a shop because the brakes had locked on me the day before. I was anxious about how long it would take them to fix it seeing as Chris & I had planned a special weekend away to Seattle for my birthday. Chris had a bachelor party to attend that night, so he left early afternoon for the party/Mariners’ game. We’d arranged for me to pick him up near the ball field later that night after the game. Since the SUV was in the shop I was driving Chris’ truck to work…. It doesn’t have air conditioning so I wasn’t in a very good mood. I had a acupuncture appointment with my naturopathic doctor, Dr. L over my lunch break. Dr. L had been helping me with my infertility issues for several months through acupuncture and natural supplements. I was REALLY dreading having to drive over an hour round trip for my appointment in a truck with no air. Just before I left the office for my appointment Chris called to let me know the SUV wasn’t going to be ready by the time I left for Seattle that afternoon. The good news was that I wouldn’t have to take the truck, Chris’ mom was coming to drop off her minivan for me to take. I was beginning to feel like this was a pretty crappie birthday. By the time I got to Dr. L’s office I wanted the day to be over. I brought my BBT (basil body temperature) chart for her to look at just like I do every appointment. I pointed out to her on my chart that my temperature had been really high for the last week+, I also informed her I’d only had one day of spotting around the time I should have started my cycle, but tried my hardest to explain to her my work had been pretty stressful lately and that I wasn’t feeling any pregnancy symptoms. She told me she didn’t want to get my hopes up high, her and I both knew how many negative pregnancy tests I’d taken, but that she couldn’t do acupuncture on me in case I was pregnant. She asked me if I’d taken a pregnancy test, no, I had not. I’d sworn to myself a long time ago that I’d never take another one again. She looked around to see if she had any pregnancy tests in the office but couldn’t find any so sent me out to buy one and bring it back to her office. On my way to the store and as I was paying for the test I was feeling angry and thinking to myself “I can’t believe I’m buying another freaking pregnancy test”. Once I got back to Dr. L’s office I went to wait in her office while she did the test. As I sat there I was trying so hard to keep my hopes down, to prepare myself for another disappointment. Dr. L was gone less then two minutes, when she opened the door she had tears in her eyes and she said “You’re pregnant!!!”….. I burst into sobs and couldn’t say anything for a long time. It was the most amazing feeling, Dr. L and I just sat there crying together. In shock and disbelief I finally managed to ask “I’m really pregnant?”. It dawned on me at that moment that it was my birthday, I found out I’m pregnant on my birthday!!!! As I drove back to work I was still in shock, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to laugh or cry. Chris & I had been pleading with God to bless us in this way, but all of a sudden I felt totally and completely unworthy to carry such a precious gift. The rest of the day at work felt so surreal, it was hard to contain myself. I couldn’t wait to tell Chris!

After checking into our hotel I went to pick up Chris in downtown Seattle. I was so nervous, excited, anxious…. I just couldn’t wait to tell him! Once we got back to our hotel I told Chris I had a present for him, his gift was sitting on the bed, wrapped in some tissue paper. I had found a really cute giraffe at Target on my way to Seattle. I had tied the pregnancy test around the giraffe’s neck. As he unwrapped the gift I watched his face, he stared at the giraffe for a long time, obviously in shock. I started to cry and mumbled “I’m pregnant”. He looked up at me with tears in his eyes and said “really?”, all I could do was nod my head. We sat there for what felt like a really long time, not saying anything, just crying in disbelief that this was REALLY happening to US!

The same day we found out that we’re expecting we received a call from the in vitro clinic to schedule our first appointment… Can you believe God’s timing?! In some ways I’d say we’re still in a state of shock and disbelief! We praise God for this incredible miracle He’s bestowed upon us! We are so unworthy to receive such a precious and priceless gift. We thank Him for His mighty works on our behalf! Wow!! God answers prayer!!! I can’t even begin to tell you how amazing it was to tell our families our incredible news! Everyone was so surprised! There were lots of joyful tears!

No comments:

Post a Comment