Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Over Nine Hours At The ER

About a week ago I was at work when I started bleeding heavily. I rushed home as fast as I could. All I could pray was “God, please be with us”. I was so scared. Chris was away that day hiking with one of his brothers and two of his cousins. Chris’ cousins (Dwilah, Dorothy and Denise) had come to spend a few nights with us so they could do some much anticipated hiking in the area. Fortunately for me Dorothy had stayed home that day since she wasn’t feeling well. When I got home I told Dorothy I was pretty sure I was miscarrying. Chris & I had only told the girls the night before that we were expecting. I told her I didn’t know what to do. I got in bed and phoned my doctor’s office, they were closed for lunch. I called home, dad answered. I just started crying when I heard his voice, he prayed with me which made me feel better. Dorothy was such a huge comfort to me, she kneeled by my bed and prayed with me while we waited for my doctor’s office to reopen after lunch. My doctor’s office recommended I go to the emergency room. Dorothy and I sat in the ER waiting room from 2 – 4pm. Around 4pm they moved me into a private room in triage. Shortly after I was changed into a hospital gown and situated, Dorothy got a call from Chris, they were finished hiking and on their way home. Dorothy put me on the phone with Chris so I could fill him in on where I was and what I was afraid had happened to the baby. Chris arrived at the hospital within twenty minutes of our phone call. While waiting to see the ER doctor Chris & I spent the next few hours alone in the triage room talking and praying, but mostly crying. Several nurses came to check on me and take my vitals. The ER doctor finally came in sometime after 8pm. By this time my bleeding had stopped for the time being. The doctor was very kind and did everything he could to help us find out what was going on. He ordered some blood tests to find out my hormone levels and my blood type. He told us that unfortunately he couldn’t tell us for sure whether or not we’d miscarried, we’d have to wait for another couple days, go get more blood work done so that they could compare my hormone levels to see if they were going up or down. If they were continuing to rise that would be a good indication that the baby was still growing, but if they were going down then it meant I’d miscarried. In the meantime the doctor said I needed to be on strict bed rest. They let me change back into my own clothes and moved me to a comfy reclining chair where they did the blood work. Several hours later the doctor came back with my results, he reminded me that we’d have to get more blood work done in a couple days to know for sure if I’d miscarried or not, then told me my blood type is RH1 negative. He went on to explain why my blood type was a concern, most of which I didn’t fully understand. Just that if I was pregnant with a baby who had a positive blood type this wasn’t good and that I’d need what he called a RhoGam shot. He told me I’d have to get this shot with every future pregnancy. After I got the RhoGam shot and the paper work for more blood work in two days they told me I was free to go. By the time we got home it was almost midnight, it had been a very long day for sure. Chris & I were physically and emotionally exhausted. One minute we thought for sure the baby was gone and the next there was a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe the baby was okay. Over all we knew God was with us and promised to never leave us. We continued to pray God would help us to put our hope and trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment